Tired of working hard to pay for your smartphone? I’m about to show you how to make your smartphone pay YOU.
There are smartphone apps out there that pay you to use them. My personal favorites are survey apps. In this review, I’ll be introducing you to the best paid survey apps you can use on your Android or iOS smartphone to make between $200 and $500 a month, or even more.
These apps simply require you take questionnaires, and in return, you get paid. By sticking with the best survey apps on this list, you can escape the many scam survey apps out there that don’t pay and also steal your data.
I spent days trying out various top paying survey apps with friends and colleagues, and I can tell you without a doubt, Swagbucks is at the top of the best survey apps to make money. It’s user-friendly, secure, and pays well.
Let’s find out more.
The Best Survey Apps to Make Money
Swagbucks – Top Choice
Ask around for the best paid survey app, and the name Swagbucks is bound to pop up. It’s my top choice because it’s 100% legit, open to anyone interested in joining, and offers a variety of earning opportunities.
Swagbucks has been around since 2008. The fact that it has more than ten million members is clear evidence that it actually works as a paid survey site. Further proof of Swagbucks’ legitimacy can be seen in its A-rating on the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Has an Android and iOS app, but can also be used via its website
- Uses a point-based system where each point is called a Swagbuck (SB), and 100 SB equals a $1
- Earn points by shopping online, playing games, and more
- Earned Swagbucks can be redeemed as gift cards, cash, and more
- User-friendly interface on the app and website
My Favorite Things About Swagbucks
The most attractive thing about Swagbucks is you earn $10 just for signing up. Signing up is super easy and can be completed within minutes. After which, you can begin accumulating points to redeem as cash.
You can earn points by taking surveys, running Swagbuck searches, playing games, watching videos, and participating in a bunch of other fun activities. Earned points can be redeemed as cash via PayPal, or as a gift card for Amazon, Target, Walmart, and more.
Unlike other survey sites that use a point-based system, you need only a hundred points to earn a dollar. Other sites typically require up to a thousand points or more.
Least Favorite Things
While Swagbucks is available in more countries than most other survey apps, it’s not open to people in all countries. Only people in the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, Germany, France, India, Spain, and Portugal can become members of the platform.
- Over ten different ways to earn points that convert into cash
- The surveys are easy and straightforward
- You get a $10 sign up bonus and can earn money by referring friends to Swagbucks
- Swagbucks is free to join, which makes it risk-free
- The website and apps are secure and user-friendly
- It takes time and commitment to earn a substantial amount of money using Swagbucks
- Only people in specific countries can become Swagbucks members
Swagbucks is a great and trustworthy platform to earn some extra cash. Using it is easy and straightforward as long as you are in the right country, and compared to the other paid survey apps I’ve tried, it’s probably the fastest for earning redeemable points, especially because there are so many fun paid activities to partake in.
Swagbucks scores 4.7 stars.
InboxDollars has been around for decades. As of 2000, the platform already had over ten million members and since then has won several awards for its customer service and top-notch business operations.
It has an A+ rating on BBB and has paid more than $50 million to its members. InboxDollars’ members earn rewards by taking surveys, watching videos, reading emails, and playing games. Rewards are earned in the form of points, which can be redeemed as coupons, gift cards, and more.
- New members receive a $5 welcome bonus for just signing up
- Earnings are redeemable as gift cards, or via a Tango card or prepaid Visa card
- InboxDollars is accessible via its app (Android and iOS) and website
- Members earn rewards by completing surveys, reading and replying emails, listening to the radio, referring friends, watching videos, shopping online, product testing, and more
My Favorite Things About InboxDollars
Both the InboxDollars app and website are user-friendly. There are so many ways you can earn money on the platform, meaning you can maximize your earning potential by participating in as many activities as you like.
Also, unlike most other paid survey platforms, InboxDollars doesn’t use a point-based system, meaning your earnings are clearly seen in dollars.
Least Favorite Things
It takes a long time for InboxDollars to process payment requests. At times, it can take up to two weeks. Also, cashing out is only possible if you have a minimum of $30 in your account. You’ll be charged a $3 processing fee when cashing out unless your withdrawal amount is above $40.
I found all of this quite annoying, but the good news is you still get paid.
- Rewards are immediately available as cash, not points that need to be converted into cash
- Joining the platform is completely free
- There are a variety of ways to earn easy cash on the platform
- With the app, you can keep making money on InboxDollars even while you are on the go
- Payments can be received via electronic transfer or check. Electronic transfer is faster
- User-friendly platform
- There is a $3 processing fee when you cash out is less than $40
- The option of withdrawing via PayPal is unavailable
- You can’t withdraw from your account in bits—each withdrawal empties your account
- Only people in the US can join InboxDollars
Since only US residents can use InboxDollars, only they can appreciate why it’s one of the best survey apps. Nonetheless, the app is easy to use, secure, legitimate, and offers lovely rewards to its members.
Its limited options for redeeming earnings and its availability in only one country is why InboxDollars earns 4.5 stars.
Here’s another paid survey platform that’s an oldie, but a goodie. Survey Junkie has been around since 2005. In that time, the platform has acquired more than three million members.
It uses a point-based system. How many points you get per survey is determined by the length of the survey, your location, and other factors. Survey Junkie currently has a B rating on BBB.
- It uses a point-based system where 100 points equal $1
- You can only earn points by taking surveys
- Registering on the platform is free
- All new members get 25 centsas a signup bonus
- You can join and participate in the platform via its app or website
- Survey Junkie mostly accepts members from the US, Canada, and Australia
- Members are emailed available surveys based on the information in their profile
My Favorite Things About Survey Junkie
Using the platform is straightforward. Based on the information provided in your profile, you’ll receive alerts of available surveys in your email. As long your profile information is accurate, you’ll receive only surveys that you’re competent to take and won’t have to worry about being disqualified from that survey.
The surveys are pretty easy. Each one is worth about 100 to 300 points ($1 to $3), but the longer a survey is, the more points you can earn.
Least Favorite Things
Earning potential on the platform is reduced since you can only earn points by completing surveys and referring friends. The 25-cent signup bonus is quite embarrassing and not in the least enticing.
- Earnings are redeemable via PayPal, a Dwolla deposit, or gift cards
- There are no fee charges when redeeming earnings from the platform
- People that are at least 13 years old can join Survey Junkie
- The surveys are easy
- It’s free to join
- You can only cash out after you hit 1,000 points ($10)
- You can only earn by completing surveys
- Available only in the US, Canada, and Australia
- Slow support team
We are talking about the best survey apps to make money, so it’s not such a bad thing that Survey Junkie limits you to earning by taking surveys. The platform is legit and user-friendly, and you definitely can redeem your earned points.
Because of its lack of versatility and options, we give Survey Junkie an overall rating of 4.3 stars.
PrizeRebel is a legit paid survey site that lets its members earn cash by taking online surveys. Its app is easy to use and available for both Android and iOS users. You can also access and use the platform via its website.
The platform rewards members through a point-based system. Aside from taking online surveys, you can earn points by surfing the web, completing offers, product testing, watching videos, clicking ads, and more.
Even though it has been around since 2007, PrizeRebel is not accredited by the BBB. However, judging by the online reviews of its over eight million users, and its $18 million worth of payout till date, the company seems totally legit.
- It is available to users anywhere in the world
- Multiple ways to earn rewards on the platform
- Free to join
- User-friendly platform
- Uses a point-based system—100 points equal $1
- Earnings can be redeemed as cash via PayPal or Visa. Gift cards and Bitcoin are also an option for redeeming rewards
My Favorite Things About PrizeRebel
As its name implies, PrizeRebel is a rebel. Unlike other top paying survey apps that allow members from only certain countries, PrizeRebel is open to members from anywhere in the world. Presently, it has members from more than 183 countries.
Least Favorite Things
Being open to members from lots of countries apparently is a double-edged sword. Without notice or proper justification, PrizeRebel randomly closes members’ accounts. This might be because there are no surveys that match the canceled member’s demographics, or the platform already has too many members in that demographic.
- Low payout threshold. For instance, if redeeming your earnings via PayPal, you can cash out if you have at least $5 worth of points
- No fees or commissions when withdrawing earnings
- Open to members from all over the world
- You get 20 percent of the earnings of anyone you invite to the platform
- Loads of gift card options for redeeming earnings
- No signup bonus
- Because of your location, you may not qualify for many of the surveys
- A member’s account can be closed without warning.
PrizeRebel is a great paid survey site for making easy extra money, especially if you are in the US or UK.
Because of the earning potential of its app and open membership, we give it 4.3 stars.
YouGov began in the UK but over the years has opened its membership to people from all over the world, including the US and China. It has helped over five million people make extra cash since its inception in 2000.
The company has a C+ rating on BBB, but I, and many others, still consider it one of the best paid survey apps because of their reliable apps and track record for paying out.
- It uses a point-based system where about 1,400 points equate $1
- How many points you can earn per survey depends on the length of the survey
- Points can be earned by taking surveys or referring friends to the platform
- Earnings are redeemable via PayPal, Prepaid visa cards, gift cards, and other options
- You can donate your earnings to charity
My Favorite Things About YouGov
The chance to win big in YouGov’s lottery is very exciting. Also, because many of YouGov’s surveys are politically focused, being a member of the platform gives you an opportunity to voice your opinion on topics that matter to you, and possibly, make a difference.
Least Favorite Things
Even though people from various countries can be members, not all members can redeem their points for cash.
- You get 100 points for signing up
- It's open to members from various parts of the world, and people as young as 13 can join
- The surveys are short and easy
- Survey opportunities are sent to your email
- There are monthly drawings and a lottery to participate in to boost your earnings
- The platform can be accessed via its mobile app (Android and iOS) or website
- Your surveys have to be reviewed before points are given, which slows the process of receiving your earnings
- You need at least 5,000 points before you can redeem your earnings as cash
- Members may be disqualified from the platform if their demographic doesn’t fit any of the available surveys
YouGov is a reliable survey app to make some extra money, but making a substantial amount requires some patience and perseverance.
4.2 stars seem fair.
Vindale Research is registered on BBB as Dynata LLC. The company has an A rating on the platform and specializes in market research. Vindale Research’s members help with market research by taking surveys, performing product testing, and other activities which they are paid for.
There’s no point-based system. Instead, you get actual cash for your efforts. So far, Vindale Research has paid out over $6 million to its members.
- It’s free to join
- Only people in the US, UK, and CA can join.
- Members earn cash, not points
- You can sign up by taking in a form or using your Facebook account
- You can earn on Vindale Research by taking surveys, finding reward codes, referring your friends, and more
My Favorite Things About It
The most important thing about Vindale Research, which is also the best thing about it, is how much you can make per survey. Depending on the survey, you can earn $10, $15, and even $50. No other survey app on this list pays that much.
You can also earn $5 cool cash by uploading a photo or video of yourself showing off proof of your Vindale payment. There’s also the Rewards Mail program, which earns you cash for simply opening and reading a paid email.
Least Favorite Things
The high value of the surveys on the app means they are more difficult than those on other websites. For the higher-paid surveys, you’ll need some technical knowledge.
- No frustrating points system—just cash
- Earned cash is redeemable through PayPal or check
- $2sign up bonus
- Signing up is straightforward and free
- Higher rates per survey
- Multiple ways to earn extra money on Vindale Research
- App available for Android and iOS
- Only available in a few countries – the US, UK, Brazil, and Australia
- There have been some complaints about difficulty with cashing out
- Many of the surveys are long and complicated
- You have to cash out at $50 to prevent your earnings from expiring and disappearing
If you are looking for the best survey app that pays the best money, Vindale Research is your answer. The absence of a points system makes the platform even more attractive.
For the money you can earn, Vindale Research gets 4.7 stars.
Ipsos is a large firm that has been performing market research since 1975. The organization has millions of members in various countries. With their Android or iOS app, you can receive instant notifications regarding surveys that match your profile or demographic.
They currently have an A+ rating on BBB.
- Earnings are redeemable via gift cards, prepaid Visa card, or PayPal
- Strictly a survey-taking site
- Has an Android and iOS app
- Uses a point-based system where 1,000 points equal about $10
- Each survey equals 40 to 90 points, depending on the length of the survey
- A survey can take 10 to 30 minutes to complete
My Favorite Part
You can withdraw earnings via PayPal, Virtual Visa Prepaid cards, and gift cards for Amazon, Starbucks, iTunes, and others. Also, earning bonus points is possible with Ipsos’ loyalty program, which rewards members with bonus points for completing a certain number of surveys. Read our in-depth review of Ipsos here.
Least Favorite Bit
Ipsos has a bad habit of canceling memberships without warning.
- Registration on Ipsos is free
- With a minimum of $5 worth of points, you can cash out
- The apps and surveys are user-friendly
- Can only earn points by taking surveys
- Depending on your demographic, few surveys may be sent your way
- Redeeming earnings with PayPal can take up to three weeks or more
You won’t get rich using this app, but if you are in a popular demographic, you’ll get enough surveys for steady extra cash.
Unlike the other apps on this list, Zap Surveys doesn’t have a website. Just an app for Android and iOS. On the app, you can register to be a member of the platform, take surveys, and get paid. Depending on the nature of the survey, you can earn between 30 cents and a $100.
- You can earn on the app by taking surveys or performing other tasks
- Anyone from any country can join, but you won’t receive surveys unless your demographic is in demand
- Payments can be received via PayPal or Amazon gift card
- No point-based system, but you can’t withdraw if you haven’t reached the $25 threshold
Favorite Things About It
You get $6 for your first survey.
Least Favorite Thing
You can’t cash out unless you have $25 in your account.
- User-friendly and legit platform
- Quick withdrawal via PayPal
- Great sign up bonus
- Only people from specific demographics have high earning potential
- Has a high payout threshold
An attractive app with an even more attractive signup bonus.
Nielsen Computer & Mobile Panel
The Nielsen company has an A+ rating on BBB. The company has been around for decades, and their mobile app, Nielsen Mobile app, is an effective way to make money through paid surveys.
Android, iOS app, and web browser extension available
- You can link multiple phones and computers to the platform
- Chance to win sweepstakes worth $10,000 every month
- Available in the US, the UK, Australia, Germany, and Hong Kong
- Users must be 18 years old or older
My Favorite Thing About It
Unlike other paid survey sites that require you to take surveys to earn money, the Nielsen Computer & Mobile Panel lets you earn money by simply installing the app. Once the app is installed, it takes the data it needs from your device over time and pays you for the information received.
Least Favorite Thing
You can’t control how you earn via Nielsen Computer & Mobile Panel, but it’s nonetheless a great way to get extra cash for doing something as simple as installing an app.
- You can install it on as many systems as you own
- It’s a legitimate passive income app that earns you money without you having to do anything
- Easy and quick registration process
- Relatively low points threshold to redeem earnings
- Can’t withdraw earnings as cash, only gift cards
- You may not be comfortable with data being taken from your devices
The app limits how much you can earn and what you can do with your earnings, but it nonetheless works.
If working from your laptop or desktop computer is more your style,
check our roundup of the best survey sites.
Now that we’ve had a look at the best paid survey apps, we’ll take a moment to explore some of the most common asked questions about survey apps.
Who Should Use Paid Survey Apps?
There’s no specific qualification required to use a paid survey app. As long as you need a little extra cash, by all means, take advantage of as many best survey apps as you can find.
Just remember that each survey app has a unique set of rules. It’s important that you know these rules and adhere to them to avoid having your membership revoked and your earnings confiscated.
To help you make the most of survey apps that pay, here are some useful tips:
Tips to Earn More with the Top Paying Survey Apps
Join as Many Survey Apps as Possible
Individually, most survey apps don’t pay a lot, but if you combine the earnings from five or more survey apps, your take-home at the end of the month becomes far more impressive. I currently have an account with every legit paid survey app known to man. This way, I earn from at least two survey apps every day.
Complete Your Profile
Having the wrong information in your profile will lead to the wrong questionnaires being sent your way. If you start a survey only to become disqualified, you won’t get paid for that survey.
The most important bits of information in your profile that need to be kept updated and accurate are your age, location, and gender. This data will be used to determine if you fall within the right demographic for a particular survey.
If you provide false information in your profile, the survey company will eventually find out, and you'll be disqualified. On the other hand, if you provide accurate information, surveys that are a perfect fit will be sent your way.
Check Your Inbox Regularly
You might receive a survey invite and miss it because you didn’t check your email. Turn on email notifications to make absolutely sure you can accept invites as soon as they are received. Remember that if you ignore a survey invite for too long, someone else will pick it up.
Answer Every Survey Thoroughly
Survey companies want the best answers to their questionnaires. The best answers mean they get the best data for their clients. If you as a survey respondent become notorious for providing bad, careless, or unintelligent answers, you’ll eventually be screened out of the program.
Follow the Rules
Every paid survey company has its own set of rules. Be sure to adhere to these rules to avoid getting disqualified either from a survey or from the platform.
Advantages of Joining a Paid Survey
Aside from making extra money, here are other reasons to take paid surveys:
Make Your Opinion Count
Taking online surveys is the perfect way to voice your opinion about a product or issue and have your opinion count. Your opinion counts because brands want to know what people think about their product and will use the information from surveys to improve on that product. Don’t be shy to tell your truth in a survey.
Make Money on the Move
With paid surveys, you can make extra cash to support your lifestyle and pet projects. The money isn’t much if answering surveys from just one platform, but if you are a member of multiple high paying survey apps, you increase your earning potential.
There are even apps like Nielsen Computer and Mobile Panel that pay you for simply installing their app on as many devices as you can.
Disadvantages of Joining a Paid Survey
No Fixed Work Schedule
You can receive a survey invite at any time. The sooner you respond, the better, which means you can receive a survey at an inopportune moment, leaving you no choice but to abandon another activity to respond to the summons. If you’re not a very organized person, managing your time and priorities may prove to be tricky.
How much you earn for a paid survey varies from survey to survey. The frequency with which you receive paid surveys also differs. These uncertainties make it difficult to determine how much you can earn in a month taking surveys. This, in turn, makes budgeting and planning based on survey earnings tricky.
I believe Swagbucks is the king among the best paid survey apps on this list. It earns this title not just because it pays well, but also because of the number of surveys available on it, money earning opportunities, and frequency with which you can get paid surveys.
To boost your earning potential as a paid survey taker, it’s best that you join Swagbucks and as many other paid survey apps as you can.